Retire in Style



Well, the day has come. My Mom is finally retiring from teaching. Tonight was her open house at school. I took a few pictures, but first I want to just give her a quick shout out. She started teaching in the 60's and stopped teaching to raise my brothers and sisters & me. She resumed teaching when I was a teen and hasn't looked back. Through her teaching journey, she was diagnosed with cancer. She continued to teach every other week between chemo sessions...two different sessions of chemo. As a matter of fact, I was there when she came out of surgery twice...she was heavily drugged, and she kept asking , "Where are the kids? Have they gotten their homework assignment? Do they know they'll have a substitute for a little while?" She wouldn't quit asking about them! The kids in her 5th and 6th grade classes that she has taught have loved her and it was evident tonight. The parents love her. The other teachers love her. And I love her. This retirement is bitter sweet for her. She LOVES the students. She LOVES the parents. She LOVES the other teachers. But it's time to heal and fight the cancer that's in her body, and, quite frankly, she deserves a break. I'm not going to tell her age, but I will tell you she was born in 1939 (you do the math) and it's time. Mom, you are an awesome teacher, not only in your classroom but in your home and a lot of the time in our home. Thank you for being the person you are and a person I love and adore! Congratulations on your retirement...

Comments

Nikki said…
What an incredible person your mother is. She's an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
Holly Child said…
What a sweet little tribute to your mom, Andrea!! Here's hoping she fights hard against that cancer!! Hugs to her and you! :o)
Angie said…
Your mom is a great example and inspiration for all of us. I only hope to touch the life of the kids I work with the way that she has done. We love you Jeanette!
shannon said…
Congrats to your Mom!!!
She is AMAZING!!!!
Kim said…
I have always loved your mom! She is an amazing lady and I know she will be missed. I think of her every once in a while and wonder how she is doing. We will keep her in our prayers and hope that she can regain her health and get the needed rest she deserves! What a cute picture of her! She looks young and as great as always.
Megan B ♥ said…
What a great tribute. You give me hope that somewhere along the way my kids might be lucky enough to cross paths with a teacher like that. She looks so YOUNG! I would never guess she's a day over 50. I wish you all the best of success with this fight!
andrea I found the best picture of us in the photo booth forever ago.. we probably took it one of those times that you dropped us off without my moms permission.. remember when you would take us to meet boys at the park.. YOu were so cool/are so cool!
Anonymous said…
Andrea...
Please tell your mom what a hero she is to me and to all those battling cancer. I know that her students feel the same. I miss you all and love to read your blog... The humor just never stops, it is like a Seinfeld blog.
Nat