A Mother Who Knows


A lot of things have been running through my mind lately as we've learned that my Mom has "months" left here.

1st thought: I hate cancer.
For 3 years you have given a very valiant effort in fighting it.

But mostly my thoughts have been filled with gratitude. I have been blessed to have a "Mother Who Knows", like Julie Beck described in her conference talk in 2007. I was taught the gospel, I learned that the temple was a holy place where I wanted to go one day, I was taught homemaking skills (although I will never be as good as she is at that...), I was taught these and many other things by example.


I have been blessed to have a special relationship with my Mom. We talk nearly everyday on the phone, sometimes multiple times. She is my best friend, besides Darrin, and has given me great advice, mostly when I have parenting issues :0) She is my right hand man when Darrin is out of town or busy in golf tournaments. She volunteers to babysit so we can go to the temple, or when she knows we need a sitter.


Remember when Drew had to have stitches just days after Ethan had staples & Darrin was out of town? My phone conversation with my Mom went like this:


Me: "I have to take Drew to the after hours clinic. He fell and needs stitches."

Mom: "I'm on my way down (from American Fork) right now to watch Syd and Ethan."

(Grandma Cori was able to come so Mom didn't have to drive from A.F....Thanks Cori!)


The other day I was at Target with Ethan & I watched as a grandma arrived at the store to meet up with her grown daughter and grand kids. I had to fight back the tears & swallow the lump in my throat. I will miss doing things just like that with my Mom. I guess you could call them the little things, but in all honesty, they're big things.


I love you, Mom. I will miss you more than words can describe. I hope that I can follow in your footsteps...I have much work to do.

Thanks for holding my hand when I was close to death delivering Drew and whispering prayers in my behalf.

Thanks for always trying to teach me how to be lady-like & acting shocked & appalled when I (on very few occasions) have let out a belch.

Thank you for being a mother who knows.


I hope that you will always be my right hand man.

(and to anyone reading this, go right now and tell your Mom how much you love her and appreciate all she does for you! And enjoy the time you have together.)

Comments

Trav and Linds said…
How sweet, I am all teary eyed after reading this. Your mom sounds like such an amazing lady! Cherish every minute you have left with her. I'll take your advice and give my momma a big hug, especially since she will be near insanity watching my kids for the next week!
Hillary said…
Andrea we love you and your Mom. You both are amazing. Thanks for both of your examples to us. Remember I am here to help. Love Hill
She must be a GREAT mom to have done such a GREAT job raising you to be such a wonderful lady! I pray for you and her (even though i don't know her). I talk to my mom every day also and I better tell her more often what a wonderful person she is. Thanks for sharing your feelings!
Jamie said…
Thanks for the advice..I needed to here that!
Kim said…
Wow. The tears just keep coming. I love your Mom too. I know how much you love her & what a great mom she has always been to you. You have inherited her happy countance and love for life. And I can see her, in you in so many ways especially the kind of mom you are. Wish there was something I could do!!! Please call if you need someone to talk to. Your family will be in our prayers. Hang in there!
shannon said…
The tears are streaming down my face. I'm not holding the lump in my throat back. You and your mother are amazing. I love you both and your examples.

Love you. xoxo
Emily S. said…
That was a beautiful post. I can only hope I am as composed as you when dealing with last months of my mother's cancer (I hate it too!). That was such a lovely tribute.
Tiffany said…
I love you and your mom...and my mom. That was a sweet post. We're still keeping all of you in our prayers.
Tammie said…
Andrea, you are such an amazing and strong person! We love you and your mom so much and will miss her dearly. It was so wonderful to talk with her the other day and hear her positive attitude. We have all learned a little something from her. Thank you for the great advice. I will definitely cherish those moments a little more.
~Diana~ said…
I wanted to let you know that your family is in our prayers. I never knew your mom but she sounds like an amazing woman. What a sweet, heartfelt post. It brought tears to my eyes, just like i'm sure you had tears in your eyes as you wrote it. I agree with you. I HATE CANCER!!! I lost my dad to cancer when I was 13. He was way too young. My father-in-law passed away from cancer last December. It's never easy and it's certainly not fair. I'm sad because my kids will never have a grandfather.

The bright and shining blessing in these tough times is the gospel and the knowledge that our families are forever.
ReNae said…
Andrea, what a beautiful post!!! Your mother is definitely a person that I truly look up to, she has taught me so much in my life too, especially to have courage in anything that comes your way...she is ALWAYS positive and upbeat, I admire her so much!!! I love my Aunt Jeanette, we all are blessed to have her apart of our lives...she is such a beautiful person!!!!! I love you Andrea....our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...
Katie said…
Stop making me cry!!!
Andrea, I know that these next few months are going to be so hard, but I also know that you are your Mom are such strong women and will face the challenges with courage, faith, and dignity, and will be able to cherish the time together.
You had better let me help if I can. I LIKE babysitting your kids. (I know that I complain about a few others!) And when you need a shoulder to cry on when you miss your mom and want to talk to someone who understands, we can cry together.
wendy and brig said…
That was a beautiful post. Your Mom sounds like a wonderful person. Stay strong Andrea, you and your family are loved very much. My prayers are with you and your Mom.
Nikki said…
Okay now I'm sobbing. I'm really grateful to you for this spiritual thought to help keep me focused on the things that are truly important. You and your mother are in my prayers.
raedene said…
That was beautiful, Andrea. Things like that really make you think about the relationships in your life and how we need to treasure the time we have with each other. Thank you for reminding me that I need to do a better job at that. I'm going to call my mom!
Emma said…
I don't know what to say. Please can we please have lunch soon? And if there is anything I can do, I am here! I love your mom. I already miss her so much! And I am going to try and not let my mom drive me so crazy. I wish I could have the relationship with her that you guys have. You are amazing people!
mindy said…
I hate cancer too. You made me sob just like everyone else. How wonderful that you have such a great relationship with her. I'll do anything to help you. Let me know if you need me to take your kids any night so you can spend time with her.
Angie said…
Oh Andrea, I wish we lived closer. We always miss you guys, but especially now. Thank you for the beautiful and poigniant reminder of how important our families are. We think of you all and pray for you every day. You are amazing! Hope to see you guys soon.
Jules said…
Andrea,
I wish I had waited until I was home to read this but instead I'm crying at work and making everyone wonder. Who cares? I love your family and my wonderful Aunt Jeanette, especially. I didn't realize they had given you such a grim outlook. I hate cancer also. It is all around us and doesn't quit. You are a wonderful daughter and your mom is as blessed to have you as you are her. We will continue to pray for all of you. Please give your mom a hug and kiss specifically for me.
Love,
Your cuz in Vernal...Jules
Anonymous said…
What a sweet post. I'm just sad that I will probably never have the chance to meet your mom in this life. She sounds like such a great lady! She is also so lucky to have such a sweet daughter.
eyre blog said…
Andrea- thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about you guys a lot lately. I'm going to go call my mom right now...
Kirkhams said…
Andrea I LOVE YOU AND your mom so much!!! Like Kristi, I have been thinking of you all like crazy!!! Please know that you all are still in our prayers and cherish these days with one of my favorite aunts ever!! I still sing the choombada song that she taught us like 8 reunions or more ago and will always think of her! We love you guys and are so blessed to be family!
Kirkhams said…
...and the belching thing...definite monson side!! My poor mom is surrounded!!
Andrea said…
Oh Andrea, what a beautiful tribute! I'm so glad we have such close names so I am able to get to know you. Your mom sounds like such a classy lady, someone for all of us to look up to. Thank you...for being so willing to share this tender moment in your life. May the Lord bless you and your family at this time.
Lisa said…
What a great tribute. You have such a wonderful mom, and I'm so sorry for what you must be feeling and going through now. You said all the things I'm sure every mother hopes her daughter will say. Thank you for giving us all perspective and sharing your great faith.
Megan B ♥ said…
It's all been said in the previous comments. Very touching post, thank you. Love you.