Warning: Downer entry

Have you ever had those days when you just want to give up, go get in your jammies and crawl under you sheets for the rest of the day? Is it ever right when the kids get home from school? I swear, those hours between 3-8pm are pure chaos! EVERYTHING is a battle with my children:
"Please do your homework."
"I DON'T WANT TO DO MY HOMEWORK, I WANNA PLAY!"

"Please get your Kung Fu clothes on."

"I DON'T WANT TO GET THEM ON. I HATE KUNG FU. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO!"

And my all time favorite from yesterday, "Drew, please go outside and pick up all the toys in the backyard to earn your quarter that you have to pay the kid who's cookie you stole at lunch and LICKED so he wouldn't try to take it back..."
To which there was no response, but when I looked outside to check on him in the middle of making dinner, helping Syd with her homework and pulling Ethan down from everything he was climbing on, I witnessed my son cheating...fully... chucking EVERY toy over the fence into the neighbor's yard. Yes, that's right. That's cleaning up.

SO, I apologize to the whole neighborhood because I KNOW you heard me freaking out at home yesterday and ordering him to go to the neighbor's to retrieve all our CRAP, as Darrin lovingly refers to it. Anyway, what's the result of me being an absolute basket case when Darrin walked in from yet another golf tourney at 7pm?? Well, he unloaded and loaded the dishwasher and then headed upstairs to fold 2 baskets of laundry. Then he called his Mom and asked her to babysit so that we can go on a kid free date tonight. Aaaahhhhh...CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Comments

Nikki said…
You definitely deserve a date! I hope you have a great time. Both my girls are sick and apparently they don't think they should have to use the toilet when they're sick. Flames... flames on the side of my face.
Megan B ♥ said…
I HAVE had days like that... in fact, today is one of them :) Order an appetizer, girl! And a fully caffeinated, fully sugared Dr. Pepper! You deserve it!
Katie said…
Way to go Darrin! I love it when husbands actually realize that we need some help. Dishes and two loads of laundry and taking the initiaitve to get his mom to watch the kids- that's great! I hope that you have a wonderful time out AND I agree with Megan, treat yourself right- an appetizer and a Dr. Pepper, desert too!
Angie said…
I feel your pain! And you already know I agree with you about the 3-8 p.m. thing, why is it SO HARD? Glad to konw you guys have a live wire at your house too. I wish we were closer, our kids would get along with Drew famously! Have a Dr. Pepper for me too.
mindy said…
Wow, sounds like it was a bad week for everyone. Mine sucked so bad I wanted to crawl in and never come out. So glad that Darrin helped out and took you out. What a great man.
Michelle said…
I love that he LICKED the cookie. That makes me so happy.
Rachel said…
i'm so glad you are writing all of this down. it is hilarious. (maybe because i'm not living it. ha ha ha.)

drew will so owe you when he gets older.

and darrin sounds like superman. you deserve a great night!
Stika said…
Hey I found your blog and I'm glad to hear someone else expressing the real crap that happens in daily life at home on their blog instead of just pretending everyday is fabulous and I love dates with my husband it makes the week a lot better. My blog is stikafamily.blogspot.com maybe we can keep in touch better this way.
Monica said…
so I tagged you on my blog, if you are not into these silly games, fine by me....no pressure...I am just doing it because I got tagged!!
Holly Child said…
Oh, absolutely I have those days! I literally have to tell the kids to go in a different room away from me for a while or else the result will be one mean mommy! 3-6pm is our evil hours around here! So busy, so chaotic!! Too much!!!
Carrie said…
And you survived. I know I shouldn't congratulate Drew on taking a kids' cookie, but hey - at least he knows how to make it so it is his. No one wants a slobbery cookie back.

Kuddos to Darrin for getting in and doing the things that needed doing. Hope your date night was relaxing. It sounds like it was much needed.

Not to worry - I didn't hear you freaking out down here at my house. : )
Melissa Sebourn said…
What a good husband :)