His hands

This is my Grandpa Royle holding my hand in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I was about 4 years old. 17 or so years later, he performed the ceremony as Darrin and I held hands across the altar of the Manti Temple.

Last night, I was lucky enough to sit by his bedside in the rehab center and hold his hand while he dozed in and out of consciousness. He held tightly to my hand, as he probably did 29 years ago that day in Plymouth. I'll admit that last night, I didn't want to let go of his hand. I told him I love him. That's about all I could say as I kissed his cheek and the top of his head. I got a nod from him and even though he didn't speak verbally, I felt his nod as a confirmation that he loves me too. He is an amazing man and I don't know how many more days he has here on this earth, but I'm grateful for the chance I had last night to sit by his side and say goodbye. I love you, Grandpa!



Comments

Katie said…
It looks like you have a sweet relationship with your grandpa. I'm glad that you were able to go to the hospital last night and I'm sure that he appreciated it. It is so hard to say goodbye to loved ones, but I'm sure that you are feeling thankful to know where he is going and that you will see him again! I'll be thinking of you this week- if you need to talk, call me, we can always go get some icecream!
Melissa Sebourn said…
That is really neat that your grandpa was your sealer, I never knew that. What an amazing event to get to share with him. We love you and will be thinking of you and your family. :)
Tyler and Laura said…
I am sitting here crying as I read this. I was my grandmother's last care taker in her home the night before she passed away. I knew she loved me and I still feel it all the time. Thanks for posting this to remind me how special that was!
Rachel said…
great. now you have me all weepy. i love grandparents. and i love the sweet relationships we form with them. there is something in them that grounds us and makes us think about what really matters.

i love the pic of you and him. love it.
Nikki said…
Thanks for sharing something so beautiful and uplifting. It sounds like a beautiful relationship.. And I'm so glad your Mom was inspired to go check on him! He looks like an incredibly sweet man. I sure miss my Grandpa.
Moody Family said…
That's so sweet. Totally brought tears to my eyes. Grandpa's are by far the best thing on earth!
Hillary said…
I am not pregnant anymore, but wow that sure brought tears to my eyes. (oh yea I am an Overson.)I am so glad you got to spend some time with him. He is a special man! Love Grandpa Royle
Anonymous said…
I love this cute little man... I remember him at the temple and seeing him at other times and I love the stories you have told us about him. I am glad you were able to be with him at this time in his life to help us all remember how precious life is and how we should cherish the days we have with those we love.
Knapp's said…
ohhhh Andrea, now you're making me have to be serious. But thanks for saying all that stuff about your cute gradpa. Made me come back to reality and realize whats most important. Life gets too crazy sometimes. Sounds like you had an awesome relationship. I'm sure it will be hard without him here. Won't be long though.
Megan B ♥ said…
He sounds like a wonderful man and it must have been such a special experience for him to be your sealer. And PS, you look so hot in your princess dress :)
Holly Child said…
That was such a sweet post, Andrea! Bless your heart!
Susan said…
That is so sweet, Andrea. My eyes watered a bit. There is nothing in this world like grandparents. It sounds like he is pretty special!
Allie said…
Thats a sweet picture. I wish I had more of me and my grandpa together.