Broken

 In the ER.
 Morning after surgery.
Going home.
Bear with me as I document the past few days...after all, this blog is my form of journaling until it's scrapbooked.  Sunday evening we went to Overson's for dinner with the whole family.  On sunny days, the first thing the kids do is run out to the trampoline in the backyard until it's time for dinner. We weren't there 30 minutes when Drew brought Ethan in saying he fell off the tramp. Darrin looked at his arm and it was definitely broken...right above the elbow. We grabbed some ice and aunt Hillary & Stephanie made a quick splint from a kitchen apron, and off we went to the ER. They got us in very quickly, which was great. Darrin gave me a scare a couple times when I thought he was going to pass out! (it's nice that they keep juice handy for things like that!)  Ethan did really well in the ER. He was even good and STILL when they gave him his IV. Bugs Life was on TV and that kept him occupied. After getting the x-rays, the Dr told us it definitely needed to be operated on and would probably need screws and/or pins.  Ethan was doing OK with the morphine and ice on his arm. So now it was a waiting game for the orthopedic surgeon. Darrin, Don, and Brian gave him a blessing just before 8 pm & the surgeon came in to tell us that they were just waiting for an operating room to open up. It would be a couple hours or so. Waiting wasn't the issue...but the morphine was making Ethan SO thirsty and he kept crying for a drink, which he wasn't allowed to have. That was the hardest part...5 hours of telling him he couldn't have a drink. He didn't understand why! And therefore, we couldn't have anything to eat or drink either, because we couldn't do that in front of him. (remember...we didn't get to eat dinner before going to the ER).  Finally at 10:30 pm, they came in to get us. His shirt got cut off, he puked all over himself, and at 11pm they wheeled him away. We went straight to the cafe and got some dinner. At midnight we headed to his room in the pediatric unit. I have to say, the nurses and staff at the hospital are awesome. They try to do anything they can to accommodate not only the patient, but the parents as well. He, of course, was still crying about a drink, which he was FINALLY able to have. By 1:30, Darrin was headed home and Ethan and I were settled in for the night. That was a long, sleepless night. By 8:00 the next morning, we were discharged and going through the McDonald's drive-thru on our way home!

It's been a long week. Our little dude is tough, but having a bad break and a couple pins in your arm is pretty painful. The pain med they gave him caused him to throw up, so he kept doing that the second day home...all over himself since he can't get up or run to the bathroom due to the pain in his arm.  But we got some phenergren for him and that worked like a charm. We cannot thank our family, friends, neighbors & ward members enough for all that's been done for us.  Babysitting our other kids, bringing in dinners, treats and things for Ethan, drinks for his Mommy, lunch, phone calls, texts, emails, etc. We really appreciate it! It's been nice to not have to chase after this little guy for a few days...but even that has gotten a little old!


Pretty soon he'll be back up and running!
P.S. it was a year ago that we were in the ER for the stitches in his head. Wonder what he'll be in there for next June...(so help us!)


Comments

Megan B ♥ said…
I can't believe that. I never imagined that a broken arm would lead to surgery and days of nausea! Goodness!! He's a cute little invalid, that's for sure :) Is it weird that I'm dying of curiosity to know what you got at the cafeteria? (I'm hungry, in case it isn't obvious).
Oh man! Poor guy! It's so hard to have to watch our kids go through hard stuff like that. I wish I lived closer so I could help out. Good luck and I hope he heals quickly!
Melissa Sebourn said…
I love you guys! I hope the rest of the summer smooth sailing. When we were little, I remember that Trent seemed to break a bone or need stitches just about every summer! Good luck :)
Kim said…
I love to keep up on your crazy life. We spent Sunday night at the ER with Jayne getting stitches. Wish I would of known we could have had a party. Hope you are hanging in there. Miss you.
raedene said…
You're such a trooper, Andrea! Hang in there! It sounds like Darrin and Jeremy need to share the juice boxes at times like this! Silly boys.... :) I love you bunches!